Pages

10 December 2011

Reading



I have been reading a few good books lately but don't want to go into detail about them at this time. However, I would like to list some of the ones I have been reading and am scheduling to read.

"Schedule to read?" you might ask. Yes, sometimes I get so busy with the mundane parts of life that I forget to schedule "me" time. It is in these times that I do schedule time to read. That is not to say that I won't sneak a chapter here or there or even while I am traveling but I do have to make a point to set aside some time to read.

What I am reading at the moment is three separate books. This is a little slower than what my average used to be. There was a period of time where I would be actively reading five books at a time. No, not physically reading them at the same time. I wish I was that smart. I am saying, I would read a chapter or two from one book, then something in the next book and so on and so forth.

Most of them might be along the same subject matter which makes reading more books for me easier to do. There are times when I have to stop reading a specific book because I am intently focused on a main topic or a specific subject matter and it is just not sinking in. Regardless of how many books you are reading at the moment, I do think it is key that we continue to read until we can't read anything anymore. Pick a subject, something you enjoy, and either visit the library or purchase your book of choice. My simple rule is if it is a reference book, purchase it. Otherwise the library is your best bet. I have found some great deals on Amazon for books that I wouldn't mind keeping even though it might not fit the above rule.

Why purchase a reference type book? So I can write in the margins or highlight the actual text. I make the book mine and easier for me to use and refer back to when the occasion arises.

Anyway, this is a very short post in comparison. I want to wish you all a great week. Back to reading for me.

(Oh! The list. Right.)
  • Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles
  • One Second After by William R. Forstchen
  • Lights Out by David Crawford
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
  • How to Survive the End of the World As We Know It by James Wesley, Rawles
  • Survivors by James Wesley, Rawles
  • EMP Survival by Larry and Cheryl Poole
  • Survive by Les Stroud
  • SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman
  • Will to Live by Les Stroud
  • and various Mother Earth News articles and several good blogs

One last thing before I wrap up this post. I wanted to give you a link to a few other sites that have great book listings.

James Wesley, Rawles - SurvivalBlog.com
Atticus Freeman - Self-Reliant.info


Until then,

Use your instincts to survive!

2 comments:

  1. I too am currently reading Atlas Shrugged and SAS Survival Handbook. I am really enjoying Atlas Shrugged but it seems to be taking me forever. I have probably finished half a dozen or more books just since I started that one. lol Are you reading SAS straight through? I can't seem to do that. Instead I open to a page and read for a bit and then move on to something else. Enjoy your reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I have to read it in parts. Most of it is because I look at what I am interested in for the moment and then read a page or two ahead after that.

    Thanks for checking out the blog.

    ReplyDelete